prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Visit to Coalinga.

On the way into town I took this picture. This animal has been in the Coalinga Hills for a long time.


I had good visit with the Hintergardts. Friends for fifty years. I have many happy memories of their home. They have lived in it for 56 years. I had another great meal prepared by Charlyn. It was so good to see that Keith had recovered from his bad fall off the roof. He fell last December. He suffered a concussion and a broken back. He seems to be fully recovered. Thank God.


Keith took me on a tour of Coalinga. (Another Grand Farewell Tour ?). His car thermometer read 113 degrees. That is hot. We were talking to a man out at the Chevron Field Office and he said the company sends them home when the temperature reaches 105. He was on his way home.

Keith and I saw an interesting thing. It is a Solar to Steam experimental project to convert sunshine to steam to flood the oilfield. Driving into Coalinga I saw a very huge bright light on a derrick.





It is part of a large experimental test project. Thousands of mirrors sitting on a few hundred acres are aimed at a solar boiler on the derrick  The solar heat converts water into steam. The steam is injected into the oil reservoir to push oil to production wells. I hope it works. Gasoline in Coalinga was priced a little over four dollars a gallon!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->