prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Ira Munson. A distant cousin.

My distant cousin Ira Munson had a short but adventurous life. He was born in 1829 and died of battle wounds in 1864. He was born in New York and was a schoolteacher. But he was looking for adventure. In 1852 he went to California. He did not succeed very well in the gold fields.

In 1855 he joined the forces of William Walker of California. Walker was a filibuster or freebooter. These men attempted to capture countries and take them over as a private enterprise. With 62 men, one of whom was my 26-year-old cousin Ira, Walker invaded Nicaragua. He was successful for a short time and was President of the country. A domestic insurrection and forces from surrounding states forced Walker to leave Nicaragua in 1857.

Ira had yellow fever and returned to New York. It took 2 years for Ira to recover from his illness. He then returned to teaching.

After the start of the Civil War he raised a company of men from New York. He led Company F, 126 N.Y. Volunteers as a Captain to war. In 1864 at the battle of Po River he was shot through the hips and died four days later in a hospital in Washington, D.C

As a tribute of respect to his memory and gallant conduct he was appointed to the rank of Major. The commission was sent to his father with a letter of condolence.


Walker also had a short adventurous life. He died in 1860 at age 36 in Honduras by firing squad.

1 comment:

!-- Site Meter -->