prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

(RV 5) We are ready to really go RVing!

We have been to Waco, Key West, and San Antonio. We are ready for a real trip. Our next trip is to be to the tip of Nova Scotia. Up through New England and back through Canada and Michigan. We will be gone from Walnut Cove for four months and a week. We will stop at 28 RV parks. We will drive 4500 miles. We will be on the road driving for 29 days. I would call that an RV trip.

By this time we had purchased a membership in the Thousand Trails Camping Club. Thousand Trails had 30 or 40 campgrounds across the US. These camps were located where people would want to camp. With the membership and yearly dues you could camp in their parks for 2 weeks free. We used them a lot for many years.

On the 10th of May, 1986 we drove from Willis to Lake Tawakoni which was a Thousand Trails (TT) camp. In three more days we were at Horseshoe Lakes, in Indiana, another TT camp. We stayed several days here. The camp is located near the Covered Bridge Capitol of the World. We drove through a lot of covered bridges. Exciting to me was a visit to the Ernie Pyle Museum in Dana, Indiana. I am a long time fan of Ernie. I read his columns before the war. I liked his writing very much. He was killed when I was on Okinawa.

In a town in Ohio we were backing out of a parking space. Some one was waiting for us. They were in a horse and black buggy. What a shock. Our first sighting of the Amish. We were to see many more.

We spent a week at Lake Kenisee, Ohio. It was located south of Ashtabula in the NE part of the state. This was our first view of Lake Erie. A sad thing happened while we were at this camp. A teen age girl drowned in the park lake. They dragged the lake all night beside our trailer.

We spent a few days at a camp in Mercer, Pennsylvania visiting friends from Walnut Cove. This was their summer home. We all went to the see the Colonel Drake oil well in nearby Titusville.


Home sweet home for me. Most of my family's food came from the Oil Industry.


It all started here at the Colonel Drake oil well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->