prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

(Petrophysical 6) Work inTexas.

Ever been to Dime Box, Texas? No.
Then you probably have not been to Old Dime Box either. These two towns are near the Giddings Oil Field. Made several trips to Giddings. It sticks in my memory that this was the first place I ever saw a Walmart Store. It was like a small dime store.

I stayed in the town that had the courthouse used in the movie Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.


The courthouse was in Hallettsville the county seat of Lavaca County.  North of Liberty, Texas.

On my travels in Texas I really enjoyed seeing all the courthouses that I could. There are many counties in Texas, each one with a historic courthouse  Here is the stately courthouse in Giddings.


A long trip was to McAllen in the very southern tip of Texas. I usually would fly to McAllen but one time I drove from Corpus Christi. That was as far as I could get a flight. It is a long way from Corpus Christi to McAllen. McAllen is a center for Winter Texas. These are thousands of RVers  from the North who come to spend the winter. When you flew in or out of McAllen all you see were orchards and RV parks in all directions. I drove down and looked at South Padre Island.

I have been around some oil drilling booms. The last one was just north of McAllen. I drove over a hill and I could see about a dozen large rigs fairly close to each other. It was an impressive sight. I remember a boom south of Bakersfield where the rig lights (20 to 30 rigs) lit up Highway 99 for several miles. There could be such sights in North Dakota today.

Once when I was staying in McAllen I visited the Confederate Air Force in Harlingen, a town nearby. The Confederate Air Force is a private group that restores and keeps World War fighting airplanes. They have several dozen airplanes. They even had a Zero. The group is now located in Midland, Texas. They have changed their name to the Commemorative Air Force. More politically correct.

Superior drilled a deep wildcat just north of Galveston near the town of Hitchcock. Spent a bit of time there.

I made several trips to Whitesboro north of Dallas. Almost in Oklahoma.

2 comments:

  1. Been to Dime Box and Old Dime Box myself; well, I took a wrong turn and went through Old Dime Box, if that still counts.
    Was taking the Boys to Schlitterbahn waterpark in New Braunfels, Texas: highly recommended by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Dime Box counts. You are among those who have been to Dime Box, Texas. I bet it is fun saying Schlitterbahn. We liked New Braunfels.

      Delete

!-- Site Meter -->