prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, May 10, 2014

(RV 3) We go to Disney World/Challenger/ Miami/ Key West/Alligator Alley/Tampa/Home.

Jackie loved Disney Land. When Disney Land first opened we came down from Sacramento to go to it. When Disney World opened in Florida, Jackie wanted to go. I admit that I like Disney also. I especially enjoyed taking Jackie and our kids, or grand kids.

So when we had our breakdown trip (to Waco) out of the way we headed for Orlando.


It was only 970 miles. In about three days we pulled into the KOA in Orlando. The trip to Florida was all new to us and exciting. We were like a couple of kids going to Disney World. We also had Epcot to visit. We enjoyed Epcot a lot.

We spent several days at Orlando. We were to come back in a few years and do a thorough job.

We headed for Titusville and the Kennedy Space Center. Took the tour. This was 28 years ago.


The Space Shuttle Challenger was scheduled for take off on January 27, 1986. The RV park in Titusville that we headed for had a view of the shuttle pad. We were there in our folding chairs on the morning of the 27th. But it was too cold and they postponed the flight to the next day. We decided to drive on to Miami on the morning of the 28th. We listened to the terrible Terrible Challenger Tragedy over the radio as we were driving South.


We were terribly saddened and effected. We were fans of Christa McAuliffe.   .

We drove on and made camp in Miami. We did not visit around Miami at all The reputation for crime in the area scared us off. We took a ride to Key West. We had some Key Lime Pie, saw the home of Ernest Hemingway, and touched the very most SE corner of the United States.




From Miami we drove East across the Everglades on Alligator Alley. Some scenery.



That is not Jackie or I with that huge alligator.

In Tampa we had trouble with our fifth wheel lifting and leveling jacks. We drove straight without unhooking to our trailer dealer in Houston to get them repaired.

I would say that this trip to Florida was very productive in memory building. After we had joined Thousand Trails (a camping club) we returned to Florida and stayed longer.




No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->