prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

(Petrophysical 7) Trips to New Mexico and to Mississippi. Retire.

I had never worked in the oil fields of New Mexico or Mississippi. I thought that it was cool to get the chance.

The well that I went to in Mississippi was located in the southern part of the state west of Hattiesburg. I would fly to New Orleans and drive north on the 59 freeway. Then turn west and go into the state.  I felt that I was a long way from my roots in California. I visited the Schlumberger office in Hattiesburg. I enjoyed seeing Mississippi.

The well in New Mexico was in the very SE corner of the state. It was really out in the nowhere. I flew to Midland. Rented a car and drove to Hobbs. From there I drove south to the well. On the way to the Odessa/Midland Airport I drove through Notrees, Texas. When I got there I noticed why it got the name. There were no trees anywhere to be seen. The town is aptly named.

There is a saying in this part of West Texas. You raise your kids in Midland, you raise hell in Odessa.

I am up in my Life Story to when I retire from Mobil Oil. Age 60.

The next part of my story will be on the RVing part of my life. This part covers 22 years. Lots of trips. Material for many blogs. Much of these blogs will be travelogues.

Mobil hosted a very nice farewell luncheon for me. This is the end of my working career. August 1985. I had worked for 35 years after graduating from Cal Poly.

Ahead in my life story is 22 years of RVing followed 8 years of widower hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->