prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, May 3, 2014

(Petrophysical 3) Trips to California.

I first made contact with Superior Oil in 1950 when I worked for the Air Reduction Company in a welding supply store in Bakersfield, California. They were a large client and used a lot of welding gas. They had a large office and shops at the Rio Bravo Oil Field. Later when I worked for Schlumberger I logged many wells for Superior. They were some outfit in those days. They had their own drilling rigs and trucks. They were all painted desert brown and were in top shape. The roughnecks had uniform coveralls colored desert brown. They went in and out of the hole with their drill pipe at top speed. They were like a bunch of Marines. They were intimidating. Now I are one.

The man in charge at Superior --Rio Bravo went up to be a vice-President of the company. When I went to work for Superior in The Woodlands he was in charge of the research group where I first worked for Superior. I am trying to think of his name.

I went to the Rio Bravo area several times. I would fly to Los Angeles, rent a car, and drive to the well. I recall that the car rental cost more than the airplane tickets.



One time I flew through Denver to Fresno. Rented a car and drove south. What was notable to me about the trip was the flying for hours over mountains. (Rockies and Sierra) What scenery!

I made several trips to Coalinga. Superior was doing a pilot study of a steam flood. I remember that the test involved several wells on a small lot. I would stay for several days. Jackie and I had some good friends in Coalinga. The Hintergardts. It was good to spend some time with them. The Schlumberger office where I had worked in the sixties had been closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->