prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, May 2, 2014

(Petrophysical 2) Trips to Louisiana. Lake Arthur Oil Field.

Superior had an office and yard in Lake Arthur, Louisiana. They handled the Lake Arthur Oil Field. This was a large oil field located in Lake Arthur, a large lake south of Jennings. Often I would meet a pumper at a dock and he would take me out to an offshore rig.


I drove every way there is to drive between The Woodlands and Lake Arthur. About a four drive. A plus was the fact that the mother of my son in law John Adams lived in Jennings. If I timed it right she would take me out to lunch. She was also a great cook. And a very nice lady.

A different oilfield for me. All you saw was water in all directions. Here and there a well head could be seen. There were bedrooms and a kitchen on the rig. I can remember the Cajun music playing on the morning shows from Lafayette. A man explained that there were two types of Cajun music. High and low. I never learned how to tell which was which.

After a job one time I loaded in a small boat for ride to the lakeshore. I laid down on a bench and went to sleep. I woke up two hours later and we were pulling back up to the rig. The driver had been lost for two hours. It is hard to blame him. In the dark every direction looked the same. You could not see the shore from the rig. They finally got me on the bank.

One time I drove to the water front on the inland canal in Lafayette. I got on a Schlumberger jack up rig and we went down the canal to Lake Arthur. The rig got to the well and jacked up on three legs. We ran logs for hours then back to Lafayette.

It was interesting going to Lake Arthur. The town is a real Cajun town. I found the Cajuns to be really nice folks. Friendly and likeable. Many of the Superior emplyees that worked in Lake Arthur were Cajun.

Superior was the first company to drill off shore in the Gulf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->