prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, May 9, 2014

(RV 2) We hit the road! All the way to Waco!

In our first year of RVing Jackie and I really went. Mostly central and eastern. We first went to a Good Sam Rally in Waco, then Orlando (Disney world, Cape Canaveral, Miami, and Key West), then Garner State Park on the Frio River west of San Antonio (take grandkids camping and  swimming), then Perry, Maine (for a month). To close the year out I pulled son Mike's bug and belongings to California. Mike had decided to move back. By the end of 1986 my Ford Diesel had 43000 miles on it. I mean we went RVing!

For our very first RV trip we pulled the Alpha 150 miles to Waco.
We attended a Good Sam Rally (Samboree). The rally was at the county fairgrounds. There were close to a thousand trailers. They parked side by side about 5 or 6 feet apart. They laid their electric line on the ground. There was an outlet for each trailer to plug into. There was enough power to run your lights. Each trailer ran a water hose to the down stream trailer next to them.

This group were mostly not full timers. It was a meeting of local clubs. It was a lot of fun. Big community meals, entertainment, educational talks. Some commercial displays by RV supply companies. I remember a large tent full of card tables  They were all playing 42, which is a sort of card game played with dominos. It is complicated, one number would be trump, and there were tricks. It was a lot like bridge, but played with dominos. This game is big in Texas. I never saw it played any where else. (I googled 42. It is called the National Game of Texas.)

Jackie and I decided to leave the rally early. When I unhooked from the water the neighbor downstream appeared at the door of his trailer all soaped up from his shower. I had turned his water off. He was not a happy camper. I quickly hooked the hose around me so that he could rinse off.

We returned home to Walnut Cove. We had completed our first RV trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->