prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, May 4, 2014

(Petrophysical 4) Trips to Oklahoma.

I made many trips to Garvin County, Oklahoma. Superior had a lease house where I could spend the night. I visited Paul's Valley, Duncan, Lindsey, and Maysville. Sometimes I drove to Oklahoma from The Woodlands. A six  hour drive and through Dallas. Superior used pool cars that were the great big Ford four door sedan. Nice to drive. But I usually flew to Will Rogers Airport in Oklahoma City and rented a car. Going to the lease near Lindsey I would drive through Maysville. The sign going into Maysville stated that this was the childhood home of Wiley Post.

I was a fan of Will Rogers. In 1935 Will and Wiley crashed and were killed in Alaska. I was ten. I was saddened. You know what a beloved character Will Rogers was. Wiley Post (who wore a patch over a bad eye) was the first to fly solo around the world. He is credited with the discovery of the jet stream. Some one had to be the first to notice it.

The wells where I met logs were near Lindsey. The trips to Oklahoma were interesting. I like Oklahoma. My trips would have been much more interesting if I had been exposed to Monson and Ireton genealogy before my trips. Jackie's father Payne Ireton was from this area. At one time there was a town of Ireton. There is still an Ireton Cemetery.

I was exposed to Monson/Ireton genealogy when Jackie passed away. On our RVing travels we had passed very near many sites involved in our genealogy. If I had known then what I know now our trips would have been so much more interesting. We drove right by the gravestone of my 8th great grandfather in New Haven, Connecticut.

I had always thought that the Monson ancestors had com over from Sweden on a turnip boat a couple of generations ago. Not true. They came from England with the Puritans in the early 1600s.


No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->