prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

(Petrophysical 1) Move to Conroe, Texas. The Superior Oil Company.


When Kerry, John, Steven, and Joy moved to Louisiana, Jackie and I missed them a whole lot.  My work experience would probably get me a good job in the South. So I started looking. Or I started a head hunter looking. I made a trip to Houston and interviewed with Texaco, Gulf, and Superior. Three nice lunches.

Superior offered me a job. They had a lovely office in the The Woodlands. The Woodlands was a very large housing development in the woods south of Conroe, Texas. They left almost all the trees up. There were miles of bike and hiking trails. The official name of Superior had a The in it. The official name of The Woodlands had a The in it. I try to be cute so I told people that I worked for The Superior Oil Company, in The Woodlands, in the state of The Texas.


I could get up from my desk, take the elevator down six floors, drive home, and walk into the kitchen at home in thieteen minutes.

When I first started working for  Superior I worked in a small office a couple of blocks from the main office. There were four engineers, a geologist, and two managers. We studied special projects. In some months this special group was shut down and I transferred to the big office to be a Petrophysical Engineer.  I loved the job. I selected log programs, did quality control, and log analysis.

I worked for Superior four years plus one year after Mobil Oil bought Superior. This five years was the best years of my professional career. I was the only petrophysical engineer in a department of 15 or 20 geologists. I have always regretted that I retired at age 60. I should have worked another two or more years. My work was all well log and formation evaluation. I was at the top salary of my life.

I made interesting trips to California. Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Mississippi, and even Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->