prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Yale University. The early days.

You must think that I am bragging about the accomplishments of my ancestors. I suppose you are right. I had no idea that they had such productive lives, until I started studying the Munson genealogy. I am so impressed how much their life stories are intertwined with the history of America. I have a great interest in history, that interest combined with my interest in my ancestors makes me blog about them. Also, I want to inform my descendants about their ancestors. I feel bad that I did not know anything about them. Their stories are interesting

The grandsons of my 8th great grandfather, Captain Thomas Munson, donated a major piece of the land that formed the first grounds of Yale College when it was moved from Saybrook to New Haven in 1716. The name of the college was changed from Collegiate College to Yale College after Elihu Yale gave the college the proceeds from the sale of 9 bales of goods, 417 books, and a portrait of King George I. Here is a pic of Elihu.


When the medical school was established at Yale one of the first professors was Dr Eneas Munson, who I blogged about just recently. He served in that capacity for the rest of his life. A portrait of Dr Eneas hangs in the Yale Medical School.

7/29/11 245.6 50.9128 128 62 68 96.5 3170 92 75 0

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->