prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pomona's FOX Theatre.

This is a rare color picture taken looking north up Garey from 5th street. The picture was taken in the forties. I spent a lot of time at the FOX Theatre. I can remember when it opened in the thirties. They had a huge organ and an organist played it before the movies. I was a great movie fan. The movie studios used to have sneak previews of their new movies at the Pomona FOX. They would get audience reaction for the final editing. I saw Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde previewed and saw Spencer Tracy come out of the theatre and walk by me. One time there was a Dead End Kids movie and several of the Dead End Kids were matching coins with us locals on the sidewalk.

On the nights that the theatre was going to show a sneak preview they would have a searchlight sweep the sky. I would watch for the searchlight and if I saw it I would head for the FOX. When this happened you got to see three movies, the regular double feature and the preview.


7/20/11 245.6 49.9 120 65 66 95.9 3610 95 75 0

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->