prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

It will be 400 years in 2012

since my 8th great grandfather, Thomas Munson, was baptized in Rattlesden, Suffolk, England. The baptismal font used is still in use today. I hope to visit Rattlesden next year. The father and grandfather of Thomas died in Rattlesden and are most likely buried in the St Nicholas Church cemetery in Rattlesden.

My research indicates that the next 8 great grandfathers of Thomas died in Lincolnshire and the 9 before them died in Sussex, England. The great grandfather before them was born in Normandy, France in 1113. I am not absolutely sure of this data as I rely on data gathered by other people.

This would indicate that an ancestor of my family moved from the Normandy part of France early in the 12th century. This would have been shortly after the Norman conquest of England, They moved straight across the English Channel to Sussex.  Early in the 14th century they moved north to Lincolnshire. Around 1550 they moved south to Rattlesden, Suffolk. Early in the 17th century Thomas moved to Connecticut.

My ancestors spent five centuries in England.  That probably qualifies them as being English even if they were Normans living in France before that.

It will be interesting to see the country where they lived for 500 years. My trip to Connecticut and Kentucky this year will cover 400 years. I wonder about where they lived before the last 900 years. Does genealogy research ever end?






7/9/11 246.4 50.5 134 64 66 96.2 2020 100 80 0

2 comments:

!-- Site Meter -->