prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rustem Pasha's mosque in Eminonu.

I have read to page 144 of the book "Osman's Dream, The History Of The Ottoman Empire". My son Chris was reading this book when he had his accident and passed away. On this page he had underlined the phrase that is the title of this blog. These are the last underlined words I can see in the book. I googled the phrase and learned that the Rustem Pasha's mosque is in the Eminonu district in Instanbul, Turkey. It is off the tourist track and is not heavily visited.
Page 144 contains references to the era around 1550 when the mosque was built. The mosque is famous for the sumptuousness and variety of the tiles used in its construction.

Some say this period marks the high point of the Ottoman Empire. From this time on the Ottoman Empire is in decline. I have been impressed how bloody the history has been to this point. Why can't they be like the Christians? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->