prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

(Youth 9) I wanted to see New York.

I really wanted to see New York City. It was the fall of 1942. I was 17 1/2 years old. I had just spent 3 to 4 years of a strange teen age hood. From the time that my Dad had a severe stroke I had;

Worked at least five different jobs.
Joined two unions.
Bought and sold two cars. The first one before I knew how to drive.
Worked at three jobs while living in Pomona.
Worked and lived in Oakland, Emeryville, and Weedpatch.
Traveled to Portland, Oregon to make an attempt to get a shipyard job.
To take trip to New York City.

My trip to New York City was one of the strangest things that I had done. See New York City. Shortly after this trip I signed up for the draft. I added one year to my true age (17) and was drafted in a couple of week.

This is my last post about my life before going in the Army. In my archives there are 26 posts about my Army career. (34 months) They are all available by searching (search box at upper) for Army 1 to Army 26 in parenthesis. The next post will start with Jackie and I going to Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, California.

We were there 4 1/2 years. I earned a BSME and Jackie earned a PHT. (pushing husband through) We were also blessed with our first two children.


No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->