prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

(Youth 4) Had to give up football.

There I was in 1940. A fifteen year old boy washing dishes 5 or six hours a day, paying my rent, buying my clothes, and paying admission to the movie theatre. Living alone in my West Second street pad. And going out for football. But I could not do it all. I had to give up football. I had played all season in the 10th grade at Fremont Junior High. I was not a very good football player. I am number 13 in this photo.


I played standing guard. I was required to fall forward. The running guard pulled out and ran interference for the backs. I was never that fast or good. My left knee was bent the wrong way once and still is sloppy. For years it would pop out when moved a certain way. It is better now after 74 years.

After practice at Pomona High School (before I retired from football) I would stop by the Pomona Creamery and buy a quart of chocolate milk. I would drink it after I got back to my room. It was cold and delicious. It was easy to drink it all down!

I enjoyed my couple of years at the U and I Cafe. My boss and fellow workers were nice people. I knew how to clean the grill with a pumice stone. I remember a fry cook who was drafted. Word came back that he was killed in North Africa. He was a nice guy. I still remember his face.

1 comment:

!-- Site Meter -->