prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, March 14, 2014

(Poly 5) Vetville #2.

Vetville #2. That was our address for our Cal Poly years. Behind us across a street were turkey pens. For excitement I would go out into the yard and yell gobble, gobble. The turkeys would all gobble back at me.

At Pomona High School I took a class in agriculture. Learned about oranges and walnuts. We had a garden. Our teacher was Mr Troutner. When I signed up to live in Vetville the person in charge of running the housing program was my old high school teacher, Mr Troutner. He had moved up in the world, from teaching at Pomona High to teaching at Cal Poly. Seemed like old times to see him.


Aerial photo 1948. Vetville is the five rows of box like houses in the center of the photo on the very left edge. The second house from the top right is Vetville #2. That is strange. We had the same position for 17 years in our RV park in Chimacum, Washington. Our RV lot in Chimacum was to the left of the top right back lot.

The shed in the background of the picture below is what our shed looked like. I do not believe that the bedrooms had windows. Just the living room. You remember the two good looking children in the front of the picture?



Jackie and I and our two children would catch the bus behind the administration building and ride it across town to Jackie's grandparents house. They were advanced in age (they were old) and did not baby sit for us hardly at all. We were really tied down. No football games and very few movies. We did not have the money for such things anyhow. I do not believe that we ever had student body cards. We could not afford the admission charge to the games. Now I can go to any Tech game free. Just show my swimming card.

Recent aerial photo of Cal Poly. Don't ask me where anything is!


No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->