prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

(Poly 7) Time to get a job.

I was about to graduate and leave Cal Poly. This had been our home for almost five years. A fifth of my life. I was 25. I had a wife and two children.


Here we are at home at Vetville #2. This picture is in the Cal Poly yearbook of 1950. It was taken by a student photographer on the yearbook staff. I was pleased to see it in the yearbook.

I prepared a resume. Along with an letter asking for an interview I mailed it to 120 companies. I received answers from eight. Only two companies asked me to come in for an interview. They were General Electric and Air Reduction. I sure wanted to get a job with General Electric. I still remember the interview with GE in Los Angeles. I did not get a job with GE. I was offered a job by Air Reduction (Airco). One job offer for 120 letters! 1950 was a slow year for American business.

Airco offered me a job managing their store in Bakersfield, California. I was to report for a month of training in South Los Angeles. Airco manufactured welding gases and welding equipment.


Cal Poly President Julian McPhee gave us a speech and our diplomas.

Several of my Monson family made the trip from Southern California to San Luis Obispo to see the graduation. I was the only member of our family to receive a college degree. Most of the Monsons were smarter than me. Especially sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->