prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, March 8, 2014

(Youth 8) Work at Pomona Tile Plant, also Guayule.

My work experience before going in the Army included working on a surveying crew in a Federal Government experiment in growing guayule for latex production and baller and kiln operator at the Pomona Tile Plant.

I have posted about the guayule work at Guayule. This was in the Arvin-Lamont area of Kern County, California. I think the listing of surveying work on my work experience may have led the Army to place me in the Combat Engineers.

I joined the many Monsons who had worked or were working at the Pomona Tile Plant. The Plant had a contract to make many soup bowls for the US Navy. They were fairly large heavy bowls. Later when I was in the Army on troopships I used the bowls.

My job was baller. The clay looked like a large toothpaste shaped portions. I would tear off some clay and pat it in my hands to form a ball. (I was a baller) Then I would throw the ball of clay into a mold. The potter would put the mold into a potters wheel and form the bowl. Then off to the kiln for firing.

Later I worked on a kiln. Carts of tile with unfired glaze were pulled slowly through a kiln (very hot). The trip would take 12 hours or so. The tile came out with fired glaze. I loaded the carts at the entrance and then I would unload carts at the exit. You had to keep up or you would have tile being damaged. I can remember working the midnight shift. It was just me and the factory.

During this time I lived in a one room apartment and had a car. It was a later model than a Model A. I could not tell you anything about the car except it was a Chevy looking sedan. I was 16 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->