prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day Twelve of our trip. Home in ten days.

We are over half way done on our trip. We are in Bury St Edmunds this morning. We are rested up. Yesterday we made the 15 mile drive to Rattlesden. Saw the Saint Nicholas baptismal font and had lunch. When we got back to Ounce House we sat exhausted in our room the rest of the day. Our drive to Rattlesden was terrifying. The roads are less than 1 1/2 lanes wide, traffic is on the left, and Nancy was driving a stick shift!  In one little town when we met a car, one or the other of the cars would have to duck into the parking lane, if possible. It always was, but barely.

Nancy was obviously stressed, at one point I volunteered to drive. I started the car like it was an auto shift and drove one foot into the front of the car parked in front of us! No damage due to the plastic covered bumpers, but Nancy took the keys away from me. She said that I was a better co-pilot than driver.

Today we take a 30 mile drive to Cambridge, a train ride from Cambridge to London, a taxi ride from one train station to another, and a train ride from London to Portsmouth. Tomorrow morning we have to be at the ferry to France at 6 am

After a couple of days in England I ended up with a pocket full of change. Even at home I pay with bills and load up on change. I could not make head or tails out of English change. So when I paid for something I would extend a hand full of change and ask the sales person to take what they needed.


This is not very efficient so I started to study English change. There are eight different coins!


One pence, two pence, five pence, ten pence, twenty pence, fifty pence, one pound, and two pound.

How would you like to run a cash register with so many different coins? Not me. I will be glad to try the Euro system in France on Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->