prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

(Widower 1) Being a widower was new to me.

I knew that I had to get busy. I had a strong feeling that when Jackie passed away that I was worthless and did not have a job or function. There did not seem to be any reason for my existence. I so missed the daily routine of caring for Jackie. I missed Jackie.

The first and easiest way to busyness was to become a sports fan. I went to Louisiana Tech and signed up for aqua-exercise classes.  Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for an hour. It cost $54 per quarter.  I have not missed a quarter since the first class I went to in 2007. It is the best $54 that I spend. I get three units a quarter, I estimate that I will graduate in 17 years. I have a picture id student body card that gets me into all Tech sports events for free. The events; football, basketball (men and women). volleyball. baseball, softball, track, and soccer are all within 15 minutes of my home. It gives me access to a large room full of exercise machines. And an indoor track. I am still studying to be a sports fan but in the meantime I am having a fun time.

I got into genealogy. I wish that I had done this years ago. I have learned all sorts of things about my grandparents.  Jackie and I drove our RV through New Haven, Connecticut several times. The grave of my 8th great grandfather is located there.
There were other spots that we were that figure in our ancestry. To me, it is very interesting and satisfying to know about your ancestors. I have slowed up on my genealogy study but it is there and is something that you can do sitting at a computer.

I have made many trips (a notable trip was to England and France, courtesy of my daughter Nancy)
I have made four driving trips to the West Coast and three to the East Coast. I have made many stops of interest on these trips. Such as; petrified forest, meteor crater in Arizona. Big Bend, TX, White Sands, Reagan Library, Nixon Library, Bush Library, and the Peabody Museum of Natural History to name a few.

I will cover some items in more detail in the next few blogs on my years (they are not over yet, some one will let you know when they are) as a widower.


No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->