prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

(RV 26) Down the Oregon Coast. Seaside, Pacific City, Newport, and Florence.

We explored around Long Beach, WA. It is on the south end of a long skinny peninsula. The west side of the peninsula is the Pacific Ocean. There is a long beach at Long Beach, 20 or 30 miles. The east side is on quiet oyster growing water. And a good sea food restaurant. I had been to this area while working for Schlumberger in Sacramento, CA.  Jackie and our two oldest children came with me the time I logged a wildcat well on the beach.

When we drove the 34 miles south to Seaside, Oregon we drove over a long bridge just upstream from the mouth of the Columbia River. When we drove to the well in the fifties there was a large ferry boat (no bridge) at the same place. I remember that Jackie was scared and would not get out of the car during the ferry boat trip. On our return from the wildcat we drove up the north side of the Columbia River to a bridge. This is Lewis and Clark country There is a museum about their trip
on the north side of the Columbia river. Fort Clatsop where Lewis and Clark spent the winer is nearby outside of Astoria, Oregon.

We had leisurely trip down the Oregon Coast. Some stretches of Highway 101 along the Oregon Coast are the most scenic drives that I have driven.  A pretty place is Cannon Beach
which is a little south of Seaside. Short drives and long visits. 34 miles to Seaside, stay 6 days; 73 miles to Pacific City, stay11 days; 58 mies to Newport, stay 3 days; 46 miles to Florence, stay 1 day.

Pacific City ia beautiful spot over on the coast from 101. It is the home of the Pacific City Dory Fleet. They launch and land their dories on the sand. It is something to see. Google it to see a movie.

More shots of Pacific City.

My Bride, Jackie.



A little south of Florence are the Sea Lion Caves.


We returned to the Oregon Coast many times.

From Florence we drove 185 miles to Crescent City, California/

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->