prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

(RV 28) Tire came apart on freeway going through Los Angeles. Trip home.


We left Castaic Junction way before daylight. We were in heavy traffic in downtown Los Angeles when a trailer tire started losing the tread. The tread whipped around damaging the side of the trailer and wrapped around the axle. I had to keep driving, and did to Anaheim. A new tire later we drove to San Juan Capistrano to my daughter Nancy's home. We parked at the curb at Nancy's house. We had a nice visit.

Jackie and I had been on the road since May 9. It was October 6. Five months. We were ready to go home. So we drove everyday for six days. Normally we tried to take every third day or so and relax for a day. But we did 136 miles to Palm Springs, CA; 332 miles to Picacho Peak,AZ; 336 miles to Vado, NM; 333 miles to Odessa, TX; 211miles to Cisco, TX; and 251 miles to Franklin, TX without a break.

Franklin, TX is where our daughter Kerry lived at that time. About 1800 miles between daughters. After four days of relaxing and visiting we drove 101 miles home to Walnut Cove. We had pulled our trailer 7300 miles and driven the Ford 16,000 miles on our tour of Western Canada. We were home October 16, 1988.

We relaxed the rest of 1988. We did take several short trips. Franklin (three times), Galveston for a week, and a TT Park in Columbia Texas.

We were planning a trip to Tennessee and Maine. We were scheduled to be volunteer workers in two National Parks. First the Smokey National Park in Gatlinburg, TN and then Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, ME. Another five months away from home. However with several months at a place. Come back next year and go with us. (Really, tomorrow on my next blog post)

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->