prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, June 23, 2014

(RV 38) Won't you sign in, please?

Jackie I were given a spot in the coop. A couple dozen people were there. The coop was 43 acres of empty land. The utilities (electricity, water, sewer, and phone) were to each of the 175 lots. Volunteers had dug the ditches and installed the utilities in the year before we arrived. There was a 8000 square foot slab for the clubhouse. A small building had been built at the front gate for checking in an office for the Board of Directors.

There was a very old decrepit mobile home parked at the clubhouse slab. There was a wood stove for heat and facilities to make coffee. There was a loose leaf book that we used to sign in each morning before going to work. (Won't you sign in, please?) The first order of business was framing the clubhouse. The coop had hired a contractor for this job and we helped. The contractor had two carpenters with the biggest longest hammers that I had ever seen. They were framing hammers and I soon had one. Framing the clubhouse was a big job. It took every one us to stand the sections of the wall up.

There were 175 sheds to build. Each one about a hundred square feet. Seventeen thousand and five hundred square feet of sheds. That is a lot of framing and roof shingles. I soon thought that I was a framing carpenter. In fact I took a job framing a building over at the Thousand Trails park at LaConner. I lasted two weeks.

When we first arrived at the coop Jackie and I would often drive our trailer over to the TT park at LaConner. We would stay for a week or two.

.
What a beautiful journey. We made it many times.
 Looking back from the ferry toward Port Townsend. The large building is the Federal Building.

Looking forward from the ferry toward Coupeville. Look at Mount Baker.

When you drive over the bridge between Whidby Island and Fidalgo Island you are in one of the most beautiful spots in the USA. It is called Deception Pass. The water rushes through the pass. Strong current. Boats have a hard time. Lots of eagles in the area.

That is an island in the middle of the pass.


In 1990 we made five trips to LaConner. A couple in 1991. There was a discount RV park in downtown LaConner named Potlatch. We could walk downtown. We stayed there three times while on a trip to LaConner. You can see that we liked LaConner. Our stays at the TT park there add up to six months over a few years. As we settled into the coop at Chimacum we cut back on our trips to LaConner. We often drove over in our car for a day trip, especially at tulip time.

2 comments:

  1. Daddy, Bob and I had lunch at the LaConner Brewery yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet it was good. This restaurant is after our time.

      Delete

!-- Site Meter -->