prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

(RV 41) Jackie and I enjoyed living in a RV.

Many times Jackie told me that she did not want to live in a house. She enjoyed her fifth wheel trailer just fine. We traveled a lot. Especially in the early years. Generally we would travel around four months and then sit in our home base for eight months. The more we lived at our RV cooperative park on the Olympic Peninsula the more we enjoyed it. We enjoyed living there. We made many very good friends.

Every October Jackie would be ready for a trip to Las Vegas. The recap of our RV travels shows that we took that October trip 10 years in a row. The picture below is the entrance to the Thousand Trails Las Vegas Park on Boulder Highway. We drove in that entrance a hundred time it feels like. We also stayed at many other Vegas RV parks. Samstown, Circus-Circus, and many others.
After a few weeks in Las Vegas we were ready to travel on. We went to many places, even Florida once.

One year (Trip 18) in 1998 we went to the February Pow-Wow in Quartzite, Arizona. Quartzite is a small town a half hour into Arizona on the I-10 freeway to Phoenix. In the winter the population goes from about 8000 to 100,000. The Pow-Wow is a combination rock show, flea market, and RV industry show. There is a huge air conditioned tent (with floor) full of RV industry suppliers.


We joined friends in a circle about a third as big as the one in the picture above. We gathered around a fire in the evenings.

RVs were parked out in the brush as far as the eye could see. It was a lot of fun. This is the only place where I ever saw McDonalds run out of ketchup.

On our trip of 2003 we left Chimacum in November. Jackie had heart problems and we came home early. We stopped at the Thousand Trails park in Morgan Hill. Jackie went into the emergency room of the Gilroy Hospital or several days. Her heart beat rate went up to 180. I went down the hall and told the nurse. She said that they had noticed and were wondering how high it would go!

We drove through snow on the way home. We had a spooky detour north of Tillamook.

This was Jackie's last RV trip. Mine also, except for a five day drive to Ruston, Louisiana a couple of years later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->