prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, June 20, 2014

(RV 35) Go West RVers, Go West!

Jackie and I were excited about our move to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State. We would be charter members of an occupant owned RV coop park. The park would be our home base. Like Walnut Cove but controlled by the member-owners. Everyone involved felt much like Jackie and I. We were destined to be heavily involved in coop affairs until we left in 2006. 17 years. Opinions about coop affairs and infrastructure varied. Feelings sometimes were often rubbed the wrong way.  It was somewhat of a relief to resign my membership and leave the coop in 2006. However, I probably would still be there except for Jackie's health.

On October 28, 1989 we left Conroe. Everything we had was rolling with us. Jackie and I were two 64 year old pioneers heading out west. We were going to help clear the wilderness and establish a 175 space RV coop park. Can you hear the background music? It sounds like "Ode to the Common Man".

We had a sight seeing trip planned on the  way plus another visit to the Alfa factory in Chino, California. We stopped first in Johnson City, TX. 226 miles.We visited LBJ's boyhood home and his ranch on the Pedernales River.

Then 293 mules to Fort Stockton. This place is really in the middle of West Texas. This was the first of several visits to Fort Stockton. Then 280 miles to Vado, NM for another visit there. Then 336 miles to Picacho Peak again.

Then 209 mile to Yuma, AZ. We stayed at a sister Escapees RV coop park. Our coop in Washington is made up of Escapee members. The Escapees is a nation wide RVers club.

Then 195 miles to Pio Pico. There is a large Thousand Trail park there.
Pio Pico is close to the Mexican Border a little out of San Diego. The Border Patrol drove through the park now and then and went up into the hills. A very large park with several large buildings. It is a very nice place.
We spent a week and a half there. The park had lots of activities. We visited San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->