prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

(RV 32) Jackie and I go to work for the Feds at Bar Harbor, Maine.

We are issued tan shirts with the Acadia National Park insignia on the left shoulder. We really thought that we were something. Jackie was assigned to the Visitors Center at the main gate. I was assigned to the sign shop at the park headquarters.

There must have 40 or more volunteers. At the park headquarters where the shops and offices were there was hook ups for a dozen trailers., We were there. A trailer space with utilities was the pay we received for volunteering. We worked a four day week. Each campground in the park had a space for a volunteer camp host. The Rockerfellers who owned this place before giving it to the US for a park had an extensive system of carriage roads. The roads had fancy stone bridges. At a couple of places there were carriage houses. They were like a nice home with complete furnishings. These were full of volunteers that did not have an RV.

We worked and socialized with all these volunteers all summer. Some we corresponded with for several years after the summer.

We had get togethers at the park. There were dinner trips to restaurants in Bar Harbor. But the big social togethers over food were the many Maine Bean Suppers in the area. Maine Bean Suppers are a tradition handed down by the Pilgrims. They baked beans and brown bread on Saturday night so that they did not have to work on Sunday. The suppers were put on by churches, granges, and civic organizations. There was one almost every week somewhere within reasonable driving distance. A lot of the fun was finding the town. And seeing different towns and buildings.

There were all kinds of beans. The meals were mostly beans and pie. Not much meat.


Good food. Good company.

Here is Jackie and friends in front of our Alfa.

Here is Jackie and the old prune picker with a group on an excursion.

We are the young good looking couple in red shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->