prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Ruston USO, a National Historic Place.


I attended a celebration for the the addition of the building where the Ruston USO had been to the National Register of Historic Places. When Hawkins Photography, which is in a store front location in downtown Ruston, was doing some renovating it noticed traces that indicated the store was located where the Ruston USO had been. Subsequently the space was designated to be a National Historic Place.






The Ruston Louisiana Military decorated the space for the celebration.


Ruston had the second largest POW Camp in the US and Louisiana Tech had a Navy V12 program. One day the Ruston USO had 1400 visitors. It is a very small space.


The gentleman in the tie is the Mayor of Ruston who spoke after the colors were presented.


The young men are in the Louisiana Tech ROTC.


5/4/11 237 49.1 138 64 65 96.2 3950 77 49 0






No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->