prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Thomas Munson and King Philip"s War.

Compared to the Pequot Indian War I mentioned in a recent blog, King Philip's War of 1675-1676 was a real war. The war is considered to be the first Indian war. It ended any Indian problem in New England. The war lasted a couple of years and the Puritans suffered severe losses. At least 600 Colonial men died. As many as 2000 women and children were killed. 52 Puritan towns had been attacked and 13 were leveled. The total cost of the war was more than the value of all personal property in New England.

Thomas Munson is my 8th great grandfather. He was promoted to Captain during the war. He had been a soldier all of his adult life. From the Pequot Indian War in 1637 to King Philip's War in 1675. All men from 16 to 60 were subject to a draft and were likely to be in the militia. The first draft in America was during the King Philip's War.

King Philip (who was an Indian chief named Metacomet but nicknamed King Philip) was killed, quartered, and his head was displayed on a pole in Plymouth for 25 years. His wife and son were sold into slavery in the West Indies and probably did not live very long. It was tough to be the loser in a war in the 17th century.


No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->