prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Rattlesden, Suffolk, England

In May my daughter Nancy and I will visit Rattlesden. The village has 700 residents and two pubs. It was established by the Danes in 860 as Rattles-Dane. Of interest to us is the Saint Nicholas Church. The church can be seen in the top left third of this aerial photo. I have included four ground photos of the village and church. Parts of the church dates back to the 13th century.

My 8th great grand father, Thomas, was baptized in the church in 1612. The same baptismal font is still in use today.  My  9th and 10th great grand fathers are buried in the Churchyard. Thomas is buried in New Haven, Connecticut.



I expect to take a hundred pictures of the village. You may have noticed that I am counting the days to May 15 when we will fly out of Dallas. I am looking forward to the trip.

4 comments:

  1. Art Durante (lightblue26@hotmail.com)March 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM

    I envy you your trip to visit Rattlesden. My father was stationed at the B-17 base near the village during the war. I visited Rattlesden in 2005 and was treated royally by members of the Rattlesden Gliding Club that still use the old control tower on a remaining runway of the old base. If you have time, visit the old base and check out the memorial plaque on the base of the old tower. It commemorates a member of my father's unit who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroics during a bombing mission. Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Art, my father, Gerald Hugunin, was also stationed at Rattlesden as a bombardier in the 447th Bombardement Group flying missions from May - November 1944. I've written novel, "Elder Physics: The Wrong of Time, Stories from an Elder Home," paying tribute to him at:
      http://www.uturn.org/ElderPhysics

      Delete
  2. Dear Art,
    I am a Munson, my Mother was a Munson, from John Harvey Munson who came down from CT.,to Louisiana Bayou LaFourche to be a Sugar Planter. He built a family Church there that is still there, Most of the Plantations burned down. We have a family gathering on All Saints Day each year. You should come. I really want to see your photos of Rattlesden and if you located the Richard Munson Home there, if it is still standing? Please post your pictures from your trip and would love to compare Munson notes with you! Amie Stewart, Metairie, La. amiestew@me.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Amie. My name is Chuck Monson (My grandfather was a Munson descended from Captain Thomas Munson). You and I are distant cousins. I was excited to hear from and hear about Munsons in Louisiana. I want to come to your next reunion on Nov. 1. Where is the reunion held? My pictures of Rattlesden are posted on my blog. http://prunepicker.blogspot.com

      Delete

!-- Site Meter -->