prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Memorial to cousin Samuel Munson and fellow missionary Henry Lyman.



You recall my cousin Samuel. He and fellow missionary Henry Lyman were done in by natives in Sumatra in 1834. I thought that this memorial was interesting. The memorial shows them in the center surrounded by spear and sword bearing natives about to be prepared for dinner. The rest of the memorial shows Samuel and Henry doing missionary work.

I believe that Samuel is the only cousin that I lost to cannibals.


3 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Chuck Munson,
    I would love to tell you. Recently ( few months ago) , a pastor friend of mine in Sumatera Island of Indonesia, is planting a church . They name it "Gereja Jemaat Lyman Munson "..
    How can i contact you? my name is Robert Silaen , I live in New York City since 1986 , my phone number (718)552-5487

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the church in operation? I googled the name you gave and there were pictures. Interesting that it is now almost 200 years since Lyman and Munson died.

      Delete
  2. There's a moment to them in the Bridge Street Cemetery in Northampton MA, though I'm uncertain if it's over any remains.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->