prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

22 Hour Honeymoon.

I want to enter the contest for the shortest honeymoon. Jackie and I were married on June 3, 1944 in San Luis Obispo, California. We were married at 3 pm on June 3. On June 4 at 1 pm I boarded a train to return to Camp Beale, which is near Marysville, California. That is a short 22 hour honeymoon. It was 18 months before I saw Jackie again.

I met Jackie on a blind date while stationed at Camp San Luis Obispo. My Army unit was taking amphibious training at Morro Bay. I remember boarding landing craft in Morro Bay Harbor and sailing out into the ocean around Morro Rock. Dozens of landing craft would circle for hours and then land on the beach north of Morro Bay. We would send scouts over to Highway One to buy candy bars to help pass the time in our foxholes.

After six months my unit was sent to Camp Beale on the way to Seattle to prepare our equipment for battle. We were to ship to Honolulu and then to the Palau Islands. At Camp Beale I learned that I might become a father. I remember borrowing $10 for trip expenses to our wedding in San Luis Obispo..



I hitch hiked from Marysville to San Luis Obispo. I must have bummed money from Jackie for the train back. Jackie paid for the marriage License.


At that time girls could marry without parental consent at age 18. However. boys needed parental consent until they were 21. I had to forge my father's name. I went to the courthouse restroom and wrote my dad's name with my left hand. Notice the sentence in the middle of the license that the written, verified consent of my father is had and filed.  I wonder if our marriage is legal.

I have to admit that Jackie and I started our honeymoon early.

Monday, June 3 will be the 67th anniversary of our wedding. Jackie has been gone for six years. I talk to her every day.



2 comments:

  1. Just passed onto your blog for one last time tonight. Love this post. You are so interesting.
    JL walked up and said theres Paka Chuck. I miss him. He always tells me hello and good morning and has nice manners. Hehe. Isnt she something. We love you!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean - finding and spending your life with one woman is terrific. The memories are bittersweet, too, but when they get too much on the bitter side, just remember all the guys who never found what you had. You were lucky in the best way.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->