prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, June 15, 2012

First Annual Flag Retirement Ceremony.

JD Harper, Ruston VFW Post Commander officiated at a flag retirement ceremony on Flag Day, June 14, 2012. It was held at the Forest Lawn Memorial Park which is the cemetery associated with the Owens Funeral Home. Owens has donated a gravesite that will be used in the ceremony every year in the future. An appropriate gravestone will be placed at the site.




The Boy Scouts were an important part of the ceremony.


Dan Falin, a Past Commander, attended the ceremony.


JD made a very gracious acceptance speech to Mr Owen for the gravesite and expressed appreciation for the generous offer.


A flag is being cut up. This is a required part of the ceremony prior to burning.




Smokey job!



The Scouts did a hot job on a hot day!!



Some of us watched from the shade.




97 flags were retired. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->