prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

I used to work here.





The top pic is of the front of the Long Beach City Harbor Department Building. I worked for 12 years in a room behind the bottom row of windows. I could see the Queen Mary through the window. I worked  as a Petroleum Engineer for Long Beach Oil Development. LBOD was owned by several major oil corporations and had a contract for producing oil from under Long Beach City property. Pic 2 is of container loading hoists. Pic 3 is of the Queen Mary.

The pic above is from Long Beach toward Pier J and San Pedro. The hills in the background are the Palos Verde Hills. The large building in the center in the distance is the Harbor Dept Bldg.

Another view of the Harbor Bldg.

A drilling island in Long Beach Harbor. A drilling rig is in the tall square structure. It is mounted on railroad tracks so as to move from well to well. It is supposed to look like an apartment building. Once a concerned citizen called and reported that one of the apartment buildings was moving!


A picture of the Queen and the white dome that used to house the Spruce Goose. This pic also taken from Long Beach.

This is the house my family lived in while I was working for LBOD. I am glad that I do not have to mow that lawn anymore. I have a yard man where I live now.




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. NIce information. I visited the Queen Mary and Spruce Goose two different times. The QM was actually a nice place to spend the night, and not too expensive, either.
    Also both were examples of what men did with slide rules and determination.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->