prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, November 18, 2013

Our first week on Vancouver Island.


Vancouver Island  lies across the Straits of San Juan de Fuca from the Olympic Peninsula. It is the largest island in the Pacific Ocean west of New Zealand. After we moved to the Olympic Peninsula we could see Vancouver Island most every day. In 1988 we spent two weeks there. It was worth it. It is quite a place! We spent our first week in Parksville, which is on the east coast of the island between Nanaimo and Campbell River. We made several side trips before going to Victoria.


We drove from Cultus Lake through the city of Vancouver, BC to the ferry landing.


The ferry was a large ocean going ship. The cargo space was a like a piece of six lane highway in a boat. The ferry is part of the Canadian Highway System. After 2 hours we landed at Nanaimo and then drove to Parksville.


We visited the English River Falls near Parksville.



A nearby store in Coombs had goats on the roof.


We visited Campbell River, the Salmon Capital of the World.


We drove across the island to Ucluelet and Tofino. It was a worthwhile trip. I have never seen such large and pristine beaches,



Next and last leg of our travels in Western Canada takes us to Victoria and through the San Juan Islands to Anacortes, Washington.







No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->