prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Five days of labor!

In October 1946 I was a freshman student at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, California. I had come home from the War in the Pacific in January. My wife Jackie and I lived on campus in a 500 square foot WWII housing shed. The shed had been used during the War in naval housing at Port Hueneme down by Ventura.

Jackie was due (I had been home for nine months). Off to the Mountain View Maternity Hospital we went. We did not know it but Jackie was to have five days of labor. I can remember sitting by her bed in the labor room. My chair was up against a door into the delivery room. For five days we listened to Ladies giving birth. I had never heard a human make such terrible cries of pain. I could hear like I was in the delivery room. I have not heard such a sound again. The most noise Jackie made were loud moans. You know how stoic Choctaws are.

Dr Livingston said that Jackie had a lazy muscle. After the delivery I went to Jackie's Grandmother, hugged her, and cried my eyes out in relief. I thought "I have not had my socks off in five days."Jackie went through much more than not changing socks! Jackie gave birth to our other three children in a normal manner, thank goodness.

I think the doctor's bill was $100. I was told that if I applied that the county would pay the hospital bill, because I was a veteran, a student, and had low income. I told them absolutely not. We were not going to take charity. We would pay our bills. I am sure that today I would apply. How we have changed!

More baby pictures.



It was worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful story!

    Love and Hugs,
    A.B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, AB. I will never forget those five days!

      Delete
  2. "it was worth it." IF you were looking for an epitath, that should be it. For all the trials and worries of fatherhood, the joys are far greater.

    I think I will steal that line from you and ask my wife or son to put on my headstone when the times come (hopefully a few more years before I get there!). Of course, if I am buried in the local military cemetery, I guess it can't be done. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having children is one of the most worthwhile and important things that a person can do. My wife Jackie lives on! Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete

!-- Site Meter -->