prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, January 4, 2013

The place with the worst name in America.

It is the opinion of intellectuals and authorities that the place with the worst and ugliest name in America is Toad Suck, Arkansas. It is the site of the Toad Suck Ferry, Dam, and Locks on the Arkansas River some what between Little Rock and Conway.

Jewette Farley and I made a side trip over to the dam on our return trip from Mountain View yesterday.




The birds are pretty fishing at the face of the dam.




How did such a pretty place get such an ugly name? It is simple. When boats used to travel the river there were time when they had to tie up and wait for better conditions at the place. The boat captains and crew would partake of liquid refreshments while they waited. It was said "THEY SUCK ON THE BOTTLE 'TIL THEY SWELL UP LIKE TOADS" 

There is an annual fair held in Conway that is named Toad Suck Daze.




No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->