prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

I got a lot of love from my maternal Grandmother.

After my Mom passed away her mother came to stay with us for a short time. I had lots of love and companionship with her when I was 6 and 7. I loved her. She was 70 when she came to fill in for my Mom. I am sure that it was too much for her and she soon had to leave.


My Grandmother is the lady in the second row on the right. She looks good, huh? I count six boys and two girls. The girl on the left is my Mother, Olive Knowlton. This picture was taken shortly after 1900 in Stirling, Kansas. I met most of these uncles. The family moved to California shortly after this picture.  

My maternal Grandfather, John Edwin Knowlton was a farmer. From the clothes on his family, I would say that he was a successful farmer. One of my sisters told me he was a gentleman farmer who lived in town.

My Grandmother's maiden name was Ermina Delphine Haight. She was born in 1860 in Oswego, New York. She passed away in 1949 in Berkeley, California. My Grandfather had passed away in 1924.

I can remember listening to the radio with my Grandmother. Lum and Abner, Amos and Andy, and One Man's Family.




No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->