prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, August 11, 2014

I admire and enjoy archivists.

Last April at a meeting of the Ruston Museum and Historical Society, Florent Hardy, Jr, State Archivist and a Director of the Louisiana Department of State gave a lecture on the Archives in Baton Rouge. I enjoyed the talk very much.  See April 2014 lecture.

So when I heard that he was to speak at the Northeast Louisiana Historical and Genealogical Society  yesterday I went to hear him again. (I am a slow learner and one more listen would help me.)



Dr Hardy mentioned an exciting find recently. In an old cabin in the Minden area a person found a letter from the Governor of New York to President Lincoln dated in 1862! I wonder about the history of that letter and how it showed up some 150 years later.

There was a good slide show.


President Theodore Roosevelt at the hunting trip that gave birth to the 'Teddy Bear".


Dr Hardy at work in the archives. I have been to two Dr Hardy lectures this year. I am ready for another. I plan to visit the State Archives.



No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->