prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, April 18, 2014

(Waterflood 1) Start work at LBOD.

In January 1966 I started on a new job at the Long Beach Oil Development Company. LBOD was owned by several major oil companies. They had a contract to produce oil from City of Long Beach properties in the Wilmington Oil Field.

This photo was taken years after I went to work for LBOD. The land in the odd shape is all land filled by Long Beach City. Much of it came out of the sea after I was working in the Long Beach Harbor Department Building. The four islands in the harbor were built by the THUMS Oil Company. THUMS is another company owned by major oil companies and had a contract to produce oil in city properties adjacent to the LBOD lease. Some THUMS wells were miles up under the city.

I could see the Queen Mary out my window. If you look close you can see the Queen Mary in the photo. The Harbor Dept building is the white square just off where the bridge come over from the city. From our coffee room on the back of the building we could see the large building where the Spruce Goose was stored for some 20 years. A few years ago I toured this area and did a blog.  Blog of Long Beach.

I was a combination waterflood/reservoir engineer, production engineer, and log analyst. The work was interesting, the fellow workers were good folks. The commute from the west edge of Orange  County was not too bad. Our home was about at the top edge of the aerial photo.

It was exciting to have a normal five day week job. Time off at Schlumberger would run for 48 hours. Every five weeks it was 72 hours. But at LBOD time off was from 5 pm on Friday to 8 am on Monday. Boy! that is almost three days off every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->