prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

(Wireline 22) Santa Maria Style Barbecue.

Santa Maria, California is known for a certain style of barbecue called the Santa Maria Barbecue. It is so good. Tasted like candy!  It is featured in many places in the Santa Maria area.

At this time there was a social organization called the Santa Maria Club They had a lage converted home on the main highway (101) through town. They had a large dining room. Jackie and I, and our kids used to eat there now and then.

But the big deal was the monthly Santa Maria Style Baroque they put on. Hundreds came (all men and mostly oil men) and would line up. Oil men would call and ask for tickets, which we gave them and put on the expense account.

There were large raised pits out in back. Large enough for several thousand pounds of meat.


With Santa Maria style beans.



The club had grills many times larger than these.

I guess you realize how much I enjoyed the Santa Maria Sytyle Barbeque. I hope that they still have it.

I just googled it. The Club was a gentlemen's club started in 1931. The monthly barbecue was a stag affair. They served as many as 700. The Club disbanded in the 70s, but the Elks have continued the monthly feast, 700 to a meal in a small town. It was worth a drive.

When we were there the Elks put on a great rodeo. They said that is was the fastest rodeo in the world. It sure did move fast from event to event.


No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->