prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, April 4, 2014

(Wireline 13) Logging the first commercial oil well in Nevada.

Many wildcat wells had been drilled in Nevada. The State of Nevada offered a bonus to the company that competed an oil well that produced oil in commercial amounts. I believe that the bonus was a hundred thousand dollars.

In 1954 Shell Oil completed Eagle Springs #1-35 in Railroad Valley in Nye County in Nevada. This fact is in the history books. It produced oil and was the first well in a field. Not too big.

Guess who logged the well.  My crew and I were dispatched to log the well. It was a 500 mile ride that took 12 hours. I remember that the rig had the pipe out of the hole when we drove up. They were ready for us to run 12 hours of logs. Which we did. This is not unusual, but I remember  it.


I was the person who first saw the electric log of the pay zone. I should be famous. Just kidding. I did log some discoveries. It was exciting. You could never be sure what you would see when you logged a wildcat well.

We made many trips to Railroad Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->