prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

(Waterflood 9) My work life in Jena. We move to Huntington Beach, California.

I had several jobs while we lived in Jena. I believe that it was a year and half to two years. At that time there were Beldon wire plants in Jena. I got a job as an expeditor in one of the wire plants. Almost minimum wage. I believe that these plants are all gone from Jena now.

I drove for miles in all directions trying to get a good job. I drove to downtown New Orleans to interview an oil company. Interviewed a drilling company in Jena. Interviewed a chemical plant located half way to Alexandria. No luck. I was very discouraged.

Then a head hunter obtained an interview with Champlin Oil Company in Wilmington, California. Champlin was a large company in the mid continent area The company was owned by the Union Pacific Railroad.


Champlin was an integrated oil company in the mid continent. Had a refinery and service stations. In California they only produced on Terminal Island. I believe all the Terminal Island land was bonus land earned by the Union Pacific Railroad Company.

They gave me a bonus, liberal moving allowance, and a good salary. I was pleased. We sold our mobil home, packed up, and drove to California. While we looked for a house we stayed in a motel across the street from Knott's Berry Farm. That was when there was free admission to Knott's. 


We always enjoyed Knott's. We could just walk over any time we wanted to. It is now a huge amusement park like Disneyland. We were a group of five. Jackie and I and Kerry , Steven, and Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->