prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

(Wireline 25) I am passed over for the next District Manager opening.

This was big shock, disappointment, and rude reawakening for me. I had been the District Manager in Newhall. When the Newhall District was closed I was transferred to Bakersfield and put back to Field Engineer on a truck crew. I assumed that when an opening came for a District Manager that I would get the job. However, Schlumberger did not assume that. An opening soon came up. The opening was given to an engineer who was junior to me and had never been a Manager. It was apparent that the California Management did not like my performance as a manager and that I would be on a truck crew from then on. So much for my trip up the corporate ladder. I had started up, was found wanting, and was sent back to start. I am realistic enough to not believe that my bosses were entirely in the wrong. But it sure hurt. No one ever came to me and told me the above. However their actions sure told me. It was a bitter pill to swallow.



 I congratulated the new manager and proceeded to be a good soldier. There were worse jobs than that of a Schlumberger Field Engineer.

After a year or so in Bakersfield I was transferred to Coalinga.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->