prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A boy named Bert.

From birth until I went into the Army at 17 I was Bert Monson.


At that time I became Chuck Monson. I have nieces who still call me Bert.

Why the two names? When I came along my parents had been blessed with five girls and three boys. My siblings thought that I should be named after my Dad who was Charles Abner Monson, In the discussion Dad said no. He had been raised by his Uncle Charles. He was called "Little Charles" and his Uncle and foster Father was called "Big Charles". My Dad had hated that and did not want such monikers used in his family. 

The solution? My siblings suggested that I be named Charles Elbert Monson and promised to always call me Bert. My parents agreed, so I was Bert Monson for 17 years.

When I went into the Army the Sergeants in their roll call used my first name Charles. I did not feel inclined to argue with my First Sergeant. His name incidentally was Sergeant Savage,

I probably could have put up a struggle and insist on being called Bert. I guess that I really preferred Charles and let it be. Anyhow I was Bert for 17 years and have been Chuck for 71 years. For my great grand children I have been pushing Papa Chuck. In the blog world I am the old prune picker.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. Chuck,

    What a cute kid! I can see a lot of Christian's face in that picture. He is such a photogenic little guy. I don't think you have ever posted a bad photo of him. Now I know where he gets it!

    Love,
    A.B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. It is not possible to take a bad picture of Christian. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->