prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Last of Eleven.

A few years ago I wrote a memoir of my life from childhood to when I went into the Army at 17. I titled it "The Youngest of Nine". When I was born I was living in a family with two parents and nine children.  By the time I was 14 I was living by myself. I have supported myself since then.

I have decided to write another memoir with the title of "The Last of Eleven". Of my original family of eleven, two parents and nine children, there is only one left, me. It feels kind of lonely. I am thankful that I have a large family that Jackie and I started, but I still dearly miss the members of my original family that have passed away. So much of my present life is remembering. I am going to try to write many of those memories down.

I was born in 1925.

In 1931 my Mother passed away at age 42.
In 1957 my Father passed away at age 76.
In 1975 my brother Keith passed away at age 59.
In 1977 my sister Jean passed away at age 65.
In 1993 my sister Nita passed away at age 86.
In 2001 my sister Thelma passed away at age 92.
In 2003 my brother Warren passed away at age 82.
In 2003 my brother George passed away at age 85.
In 2009 my sister Donna passed away at age 95.
In 2011 my sister Dallas passed away at age 97.

I hope that I will have time to finish my memoirs. I am a slow writer.


This is a picture of the Pomona Valley taken in 1925, the year I was born. I was born at home in a house in the upper right orange orchard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->