prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, June 27, 2011

1833 cholera epidemic in Lexington, Kentucky

I recently mentioned that my 5th great grandfather had died of cholera in 1833 and was buried in Millersburg, Kentucky. I was curious and googled cholera epidemic in Kentucky. I found out the following terrible story.

In June of 1833 cholera started killing people in the Lexington, Kentucky area. Within 10 days 1500 people were sick, and were dying at the rate of 50 per day. This was in a population of 7000. A total of 500 died. You can visualize how terrible this was. One family of 19 lost 17 people. Probably more of my ancestors died in addition to my great grandfather Samuel.

6/26/11 242 49.9 115 54 69 96.4 2730 94 74 0

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->