prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Jobs I have had during my lifetime.

I have been writing a list of all the jobs that I have had, so far, in my life. I have listed around 30 jobs. Many are short. Many were part time jobs that I took while I held a full time job. Like the day I spent plucking turkeys. The plucking turkeys job was more like a half day as the lady in charge put me to work delivering plucked turkeys to various places around Bakersfield, California. I think that she had mercy on me and thought that I was worthy of a job above that of turkey-plucker.

I plan to present the full list of jobs in the near future but in this post I will list one of the 30 jobs. For a few weeks early in the war I was a carpenter building barracks at March Field. at Riverside, California.




A friend and I applied for jobs at the carpenter union hiring hall in Riverside. We assured them that we were qualified to be 3rd year apprentices. We were given union cards and told to report for work. We drove to work in my Model A. I forget where I borrowed a hammer. I can remember it was hot in Riverside.

One of my favorite stories was the fire in my car while driving to work. A Model A had wooden floor boards covered with a rubber mat, I did not have a rubber mat, just the boards. One morning driving to work we could see flames through the cracks in the floor boards! We pulled over and threw dirt on the fire to put in out. We got in and drove on to work. A spark had started a fire in grease covered areas under the car.













No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->