prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

(Army 2) Inducted into Army. Reception Center at Camp Anza, California.

I can remember catching a bus with many others at Fourth and Garey in Pomona. The bus took us about 30 miles to Camp Anza in Arlington (Riverside).


This is an actual photo of Camp Anza. Talk about tar paper buildings! And lots of people. I remember being issued clothes. We moved along a counter with stations for pants, shirts, etc. We took tests for hours. We got shots.


I pulled KP. I remember peeling potatoes. It was a long hard day for a 17 year old kid, but I had been a professional dishwasher.

I can see a person looking at my civilian work history and see that I had worked on a surveying crew as a rodman/chainman. Ah ha! put this guy in the combat engineers. My discharge stated that I was a rod man. The 154th Engineering Battalion was starting basic training at Camp Cooke.

I was put on a train and let off at Surf, California. This is the closet station to Lompoc where Camp Cooke is located. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->